Sunday, February 1, 2009

Modding guitar pedals and otherwise fixing things that aren't broken

I just finished modifying two guitar pedals in my possession, giving them both new life and better functionality. And, without trying to pat myself on the back (although I am quite impressed with them), I realized how gratifying it is to take something apart and make it better.

Not only have I learned basic electronics, but also sharpened my ability to research, to learn new systems and develop new skills with almost no instruction. It's not like I just fucked around until I got lucky (a lil maybe). I feel like this is another merit badge for my list of Skills For Surviving a Post Apocalyptic Future.

Andrew and I had brainstormed about this very issue. He's seen a biker with a weedwacker sized engine attached to his bike frame. As he buzzed down the road, Andrew declared that the Apocalypse has befallen us, but news hadn't spread yet. This guy must have gotten the memo though, and was already on top of it. Mind you, this is before the financial meltdown. So like William Gibson says, the future is here, it's just not widely distributed yet.

I'm hoping that what I'm learning now fucking around with second hand distortion pedals, could some day help me build wind turbines to power my own pirate radio station of the apocalypse. Or at least power a sweet soundsystem for those end of the world dance parties. Or maybe, I should just be buying lotsa guns.

All of this seems much more feasible than me EVER using ANY of the "SKILLS" learned in dramatic writing. Besides, in an oral culture (and you can bet that's what we'll be for the most part), narrative will be a more important art anyway. Or maybe, there will be post-civilization "happenings" or new forms of performance. But let me tell how fucking useless the dramatic form will be in a world where food is scarce and there is no government to protect you. That will be almost as useless as the degree I'm spending 3000 extra dollars just to get.

Of course, all debts will vanish. So, maybe I don't have an excuse not to show up on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. I think that you're desire to fix things that aren't broken is a reflection on your nature to see the ability for perfection in everything and everyone you encounter. You make yourself sound a lot more pessimistic that you are sometimes :) Also, I love when you come to class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete